23/09/2011

Golden Syrup for British Pancakes


"Breakfast is the most important meal of the day", we all heard that at least once in our life. I believe this to be true, specially because it's the only meal that can be sweet from beginning to end, with no bad conscious. Now, on a daily basis, I try to keep it on the healthy side: oat meal, fruit salad...

But sometimes breakfast needs to be more like a celebration, for a lazy sunday morning, to pick up your spirit or to pay tribute to a friend, who's been so cool to send you a goodies package. And this package was as good as it gets, because first it contained chocolate, and anyone who knows me, knows how much I like that, and secondly it had an unexperienced substance: Golden Syrup.

I kept seeing this in Nigella's recipes, but couldn't find it this side of the pound. Now I finally tried it, so for all of you who have no idea how it's like: it has the consistancy of honey, but it's made out of sugar so the taste is different, more like agave syrup but with a hint of caramel taste in the end. It's definetly on the sweet side, it's dense and rich, I like it!

So pancake felt like the way to go, nice and fluffy, they feel festive in my world, because I only make them, when I have enough time on my hands. I've tried many recipe and like to use more egg whites than yolks, I think it makes them lighter. Hot and topped with golden syrup, this is a great way to start the day!

Pancakes


for 8 to 10 pancakes

3 Eggs
2 Egg Whites
300ml of Milk
300gr Flour
2 Teaspoons of Baking Powder
4 Tablespoons of Sugar
Salt
Oil or Butter, for the pan

Separate the egg whites and yolks. Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt into a soft peak.

Mix the egg yolks with the milk, then add the flour, the baking powder, the sugar and a pinch of salt, whisk and combine well.

Add carefully, with a spatula, the egg whites until well combined and let it rest for about 30 minutes.

Heat up a non sticky frying pan with a bit of butter or oil, and with a ladle, pour the batter in the hot pan. After bubbles appear on the surface, turn them around and give it about an other minute.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire