27/09/2011

Tiny celebration of life: Beetroot Soup


Yes! I finally found a farmer's market that is close-by and takes place on my day off! See, my working schedule is a bit off from the monday to friday routine, so the big saturday farmer's market is not an option for me, unless I go there at dawn, which is not something I'm willing to do.

So when I read about this market, I was thrilled. It's tiny but it has all I need, including a producer from my hometown, it's a tiny world after all. So boosted about my discovery, I've decided to be brave and buy something I'm not used to, something I was really not found of as a child: Beetroot.

I remember the weird consistency that I didn't like to bite on, and the color made me suspicious as a kid. But reading recipes from "Bryn's Kitchen" lately, made me want to give it an other try. I believe our tastes do evolve as we grow, so what I remembered from my childhood might not be how I feel today.

But to avoid the "consistency" problem, I thought I would choose a soup, it's automn after all. And you know what, I really like it, it has an earthy taste, a little bit on the sweet side too. For the purpose of the picture I've added a bit of cream, but I've had some left over the next day and it's even better without the cream to me, who knew!

Beetroot Soup


2 Beetroots
2 Potatoes
1 Onion
Thym
Olive Oil
Salt, Pepper
Water

Cut the onion, and put it in a heavy base saucepan with a bit of olive oil, cook them until soft and add some thym.

Peel the beetroot and the potatoes and cut them into cubes. Add them in the saucepan, and let them cook for about 5 minutes.

Pour water to level the vegetables, and let it cook for 30 to 45 minutes. Check if the vegetables are cooked and whizz it with a hand blender or a food processor.

Pass the soup thru a fine sieve, check the seasoning, add salt and pepper to taste.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire