07/03/2012

On the Homemade Vibe: Spaghetti


Far from me the idea of supporting consumerism, but I'm a big enthousiastic when it comes to kitchen utensils, from the smallest item, to something bigger. I believe I have mentionned my Kitchenaid more than once, and how much I love it, so much that I've even named it Nigella, as a tribute to Nigella Lawson.
It is true that it's expensive, but you have to give credit to it's quality, I'm almost using it on a daily basis and it's working like a charm. It makes me think about what my grandma use to say: "the cheapest ends up being the most expensive", and I've realised more than once that grandma was right!

So even if it was a big investment in the first place, it can also help you to save up afterwards: you can make your own bread, no need to buy ready to use whipped cream, just make it yourself. Baking, cooking, grinding, making sausages... The possibility are endless.
Today's recipes is motivated by the fact that I haven't much time to cook this week, and this can be made in advance easily, and also because I had yet to use the spaghetti attachement of my kitchenaid pasta kit.

Not only am I a bit out of time this week to cook, but I didn't even have time to shop, so this is out of the pantry and the freezer. In order to do something different (and also because I was out of regular flour), I mixed two kinds of flours to have something different that the regular pasta recipe.
I froze a small portion of the Arugula Pesto I made last week and it came in handy earlier than expected! When I buy spaghettis I tend to buy them thicker than what the machine is making, but if you're carefull not to overcook them, they have a nice bite to them, and nothing beats the satisfaction of saying: I've made this myself!

Wheat and Rye Flour Spaghettis With Arugula Pesto


Serves 2-3

125gr of Wheat Flour
75gr of Rye Flour
2 Large Eggs
1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil

4 Tablespoons of Arugula Pesto

As the pasta should dry 6 hours, you can make this a day ahead. In a bowl, combine both flours and add the 2 eggs. I use a fork at this stage to combine the two, until it's a little like a crumble, than I tip it on my work surface and start working the dough, for about 10 good minutes.
It needs to be smooth and shiny in the end. About half way thru, I add the olive oil, if the dough seems too dry, you can add some more, it will depend on the size of your eggs.
When you're done, place it in cling film and let it rest for at least 30 minutes.

Cut the dough in four equal pieces, make it a little flat in your hands, and start rolling it into the pasta maker, at the widest setting. Fold the dough in two and pass it again a few time, so the pasta gets the right consistency. Get to thiner setting one step at a time, until you have the wished size.
Place the rolled out dough on a clean towel while you do this again with the 3 remaining pieces of pasta dough.
Now using the spaghetti maker, pass the pasta dough thru, be carefull to keep them aligned and hang them to let them dry (I personnaly use the handles of my kitchen drawers).

In a big pan, bring some salted water to the boil and cook the spaghettis in it for about 5 to 6 minutes, keep a little of the cooking water before draining the spaghettis.
Now place the spaghetti back into the pan, add the arugula pesto aswell as a little bit of cooking water, so the sauce will stick better to the pasta. Eat while it hot.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire