28/08/2011

Olive Focaccia


Like many people in my generation, I take all the comfort we have to help us for granted. I never even gave a lot of thoughts to it, but once my grandma told me what her daily chores used to be when she was younger: no washing machine, no kitchenaid, hell even no running water!

When I was younger, we once had a storm that brought down power lines and we had no electricity for about a day. It's only than you realise how dependant you are. Good thing my parents have a fireplace, otherwise it would have been even worse, as it was around christmas time.

Come to think of it, before the fridge was a commun appliance, imagine how complicated it must have been to store food. Most things we could preserve must have had a salty or vinegary taste to it. I wonder if they had more high blood pressure problems than we have nowadays...

Anyway, all this because I actually cleaned my fridge, which you're supposed to do twice a month... I'm pretty sure I don't do it as often, but still I did it and found a couple of opened jars of olives and I thought it was time to use them.

Olive Focaccia


For 1 Focaccia

About 300gr of Homemade Pizza Dough
100gr of Black Olives
100gr of Green Olives
1 Tablespoon of Fresh Rosemary, choped
2 Tablespoon of Parmesan, freshly grated
Olive Oil
Fleur de sel

Make your Pizza dough ready and let it rise under a wet clothes for an hour, an hour and a half.

Chope the olives roughly together and if needed, remove the pit.

Put the pizza dough on your working surface and knead it a little before adding the olives and the fresh rosemary. Keep working the ingredients in and than using a rolling pin, roll it out to a rectangle shape, about one centimeter thick.

On the baking tray you are going to use, drizzle a bit of olive oil before placing the Focaccio on it. Drizzle a bit of olive oil on top aswell, and put a cling film on it before letting it rest for an hour in a warm place.

Preheat your oven to 220°C

Remove the cling film carefully, and using your finger tips, press down dimples into the Focaccia on the whole surface. Add an other drizzle of olive oil and sprinkle "Fleur de sel" (Kosher salt) on it aswell as the Parmesan.

Place it in the oven for about 30 minutes, it should be a nice golden color. Serve it as an appetizer cutted into small squares, or as a dish cutted in bigger chunks with a nice summer salad.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire