10/05/2012

Spice and Honey Carrot Pie


I love sleeping in a bed with freshly washed linen, but I don't like changing the sheets. I love storms when I'm comfy inside my home, not when I'm outside. I love leaving for holidays aswell as I enjoy coming back. I do my best to be an eco citizen but I work with a car all day. I'm a quiet person, but love to sing out loud when I'm alone.
You could say I'm full of contractions, which is true, but I'd rather say that I'm opinionated. That getting older makes you see life differently, and that there are a lot of shades of grey in between that black and white you saw in the beginning.


I love, and take it as a challenge, to try out recipes that take many hours to make, with different preparations to get ready, like this fraisier I did a couple of years ago, or the merguez done from scratch on this blog. But sometimes, making something easier in the process is just as rewarding if the result is as delicious as this pie. Very few ingredients, just the the right ones.
Carrots and puff pastry. Those are the main ingredients of this pie, though I sometimes make my own puff pastry, it does require a lot of time, so I used a good quality one I bought. A few carrots left, a recipe in Saveurs magazine, there you have a nice super.

Spice and Honey Carrot Pie (adapted from a recipe from Saveurs Magazine N°191)


Serves 2

150gr of Puff Pastry
4 Carrots
2 Tablespoons of Honey
1 Teaspoon of Cumin
2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
2 Tablespoons of Butter, melted
Salt, Pepper

Peel the carrots and cut them lenghtwise into four pieces, or more, depending on the size of the carrot. Steam cook them for 20 minutes.

In the meantime, preheat the oven to 180°C.

In a small bowl, combine the honey, the olive oil, the cumin and pepper. Place the carrot in an oven dish, and pour the honey/oil mixture on them, try to coat them in it.
Place in the oven for 20 minutes, and turn them around half way thru.

Roll out your puff pastry, about 3-4 mm thick, place on an oven tray covered with parchement paper. Brush the melted butter on the pastry, before placing the carrots on it and cook it in the oven for about 20 minutes.

When it comes out of the oven, sprinkle it with a bit of salt. Serve it hot, with a salad, or if you feel like you need some more carbs, with some Rösti.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire