25/09/2011

Fig Tart, for a change


I don't like to cook the same thing too often, even though I have some recipes that I like to do again. I believe that new experiences in taste, texture or products is so much more interesting than eating the same thing over and over again.

I guess this is related to my "aspargus trauma", and more generaly on how my dad eats on a daily basis. He's the "I eat what I know" kind of guy, eating the same salad every evening and it doesn't bother him... I feel I would loose the will to live after a few days!


So I was very happy to found some fresh Figs, they are not something usual here, we find them easily in their dried version, but the fresh ones are harder to get to. I guess it's because I don't live in a very southern region.

And it just happened that this month magazine "Saveurs", has a chapter on figs. In sweet or savory dishes, all looking more delicious than the other. I obviously had my eye on the sugar side of things and decided for the tart recipe.

Fig Tart with Almond Cream (based on a recipe from "Saveurs" N°186)


Serves 6-8 persons

10 figs
500gr of Puff Pastry
80gr of Butter, at room temperature
100gr of Ground Almonds
80gr of Sugar
30gr of Flour
2 Egg Yolks
2 Tablespoons of Apricot Jam
40gr of Slivered Almonds
200ml of Water
50gr of Sugar
Vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 180°C

In a bowl, mix the butter with the ground almonds, the flour and the egg yolks. When well combined, add the apricot jam aswell.

Wash the figs and quarter them.

Roll out the puff pastry to a rectangle of about 40 x 30cm. Place it on baking paper on your oven tray. Prick the pastry with a fork and spread the almond cream on top.

Place the fig quarters on the cream, pressing them down a little. Sprinkle the slivered almonds on top, and place in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes.

In the meantime, make the syrup. In a sauce pan, mix the water, the sugar and the vanilla extract. Place it on a hot flame, and let it bubble down to the right consistency.

When you take the tart out of the oven, still hot, brush the tart with the syrup and let it cool before serving.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire