15/09/2011

Red Cabagge, the cold way


We all have a different view of what a perfect holiday should be. For some it would include beaches of white sand with a clear blue ocean, for others a mountain covered with fresh snow or a city vibrant with colors and excitement.

But sometimes it's not about the destination, it's about what you can do with your free time. I just spent a week of holiday at home, which I hadn't done in years. No schedule to follow, no pressure, no need to plan visits... just relax, enjoy doing nothing but what you want to, and for me that includes cooking.


Because in the end, many of my holiday memories are related to food. I still remember the Fritto Misto I had in Italy with my parents when I was about 7, the ice cream my sister and I got every evening, when we were in south of France or the arugula and octopus salad, I had the last time I was in Lisbon.

As summer seems to be coming to an end, it seems I should post this recipe now, because it is one of my favorit summer salad. I tried it the first time on holidays last year. I know I took it from a magazine I bought, but I can't remember which. It comes in handy with my left-over red cabagge, I like the combination of textures with the cool and sweet touch of the melon.

Pasta Summer Salad with Red Cabagge, Schrimps and Melon


Serves 4-6

For the Salad:
250gr of Pasta (Oriechiette or Farfalle)
1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil
200gr of Schrimps
1 Tablespoon of Lemon Juice
1/2 a Melon
100gr of Red Cabagge, raw
Dill

For the dressing:
1 Tablespoon of Honey
1 Tablespoon of Parsley, chopped
2 Tablespoons of Orange Juice
1 Tablespoon of Lemon Juice
3 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
Salt, Pepper

Cook the Pasta in boiling salted water. When cooked, drain them and pass them under cold water to stop them from cooking any further, put them in a bowl with a tablespoon of olive oil so they won't stick together.

Mix the schrimp with a tablespoon of lemon juice. If you have a mandoline, use it to slice the red cabagge as thin as possible. Dice or ball the melon. Mix all the ingredients carefully together.

Get the ingredients of the dressing in a shaker to get them well combined, pour it over the salad, and sprinkle fresh dill on top.